Thursday, June 11, 2020

My Brilliant Career


My Brilliant Career

I wanted to be the best student in my high school class, or at least to be recognized as a “Scholar of the Month.” I came in second in my class of 997 students; I was salutatorian instead of valedictorian. I did give the valedictory address at graduation, though; it was awarded by audition. I never made Scholar of the Month. As various of my friends received the honor, I gathered that the award was based on extraordinary achievement in a specialized area. Although I won some scholarships and awards in English and public speaking, I must have been too much of a generalist to shine in the way they wanted.

Fast forward past college, law school, and a judicial clerkship. I settled into a career in legal publishing where I got to be a student for my living. As a writer, I got to study a variety of legal topics under the law of various states, to synthesize my understanding into a structure, and to lay it out in the most accurate and reader-friendly words and paragraphs I could build. I loved figuring out each new subject: moving the pieces around until the picture was complete, tidying all the connections and edges, and wrapping it up with a bow.

Midway in my career, the writing was moved outside the company to independent contractors. Editing wasn’t as satisfying as writing, but at least I had the last chance to tinker with the writing and put my stamp on it.

Eventually, they bumped me up to managing increasing numbers of publications. I got to spend less and less time with the words and paragraphs, and got less and less satisfaction at my job.

I managed my finances so I could retire early. Now I can spend as long as I want writing and tinkering with my own words and paragraphs.


No comments: