Sunday, July 1, 2007

City Sightings

I've been meaning to pass on a few recently spotted vignettes:

I saw a woman knitting with four or five double-pointed needles as she walked across the street (while I was crossing in the opposite direction) near my office one afternoon. It takes a serious command of one's needles to have the confidence to maneuver them while standing, let alone walking, because the stitches will drop off the needles at the slightest provocation. Or the needle will simply fall out of the stitches. And if a needle drops into the storm drain, it's all over for that set of needles.

On the same walk to the Metro, I saw two (presumably Sikh) gentlemen in turbans. The first turban was a virulent shade of chartreusy green, and had no connection whatsoever to the other colors of his clothes. It just about hurt my eyes. I concluded that the man was color-blind or had no taste whatsoever. The next gentleman, however, was wearing a purple (my favorite color) turban, which eased my eyes. Moreover, it coordinated beautifully with his lavender shirt and the other clothes he was wearing. I said to myself - that guy has to be gay. However, suspecting that the Sikh religion is no more gay-friendly than other religions of a similar vintage, I revised my diagnosis, and now think that he was a metrosexual.

Finally, just the other day, I walked by a motor scooter that was Pepto Bismol pink. It was soooo girly looking. But the seat was covered with a black vinyl with a white pattern on it. A pattern that, on closer examination, turned out to be skulls and crossbones! Perhaps the owner is Anne Bonney?

No comments: