Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My Library's Coming!

For many, many years, I have had a dream of a home library - wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling built-in bookcases with a library ladder on a rail so I could reach the books on the upper shelves. Ever since I decided to move downstairs, I've been planning how to accomplish this.

Bids to build the library from scratch made my jaw drop, and so did bids from carpenters who would take my existing set of teak veneer bookcases and build more shelves up to the ceiling. Finally, I asked my friend Jack to come up with a version I could both afford and live with, possibly involving IKEA products. He came and measured, and studied the Billy bookcase units on the IKEA website, and came up with a plan that will use two Billy bookcases, plus extension shelves, alongside my bookcases. We went to IKEA and picked up the cases, for a song. And then we went to the ladder store, and got a bid on a library ladder that cost half what I was quoted by one of the first carpenters. Adding the very reasonable sum he estimates for his labor on the project, I'm going to wind up with a wall of books and a real library ladder for a nice price.

And once the bookshelves are joined by the pricy zero gravity recliner that I've bought - instead of a visually attractive but uncomfortable window seat that was my first idea - I'm going to have a wonderful place to read, and nap, and read, and nap ...

No comments: