Friday, April 12, 2013

Favorite Color?!

I finally connected with someone at the Cafe La Boheme Friday writing practice group. I've wanted to go for several years, but only tried it once and didn't find anyone else who was there to write. After it  became a Meetup group, though, with RSVPs and pictures of attendees, I thought it would be more regular. Not so. I went there today and, even though the organizer and 5 other folks RSVPed, only one other person was there. Fortunately, there was a fairly good picture of her on her profile and we recognized each other. After it became clear that we were the only ones, I took over and got us writing to the prompt that I had come up with last night. I wrote as follows:

I was listening to a podcast last night about "drunk tank pink." Apparently research has shown that drunk, angry, aggressive people become calmer and behave better in a room with walls that are painted the color of PeptoBismol. Moreover, sometimes professional athletes are not able to perform their best when confronted by a piece of cardboard that is pink. They do, however, regain their abilities when shown a blue or green  color to cleanse their visual palate.

These ideas came to me last night while I was trying to think about my favorite color. I used to say that my favorite color was blue, the boys' color, the color of sky and sea and strength. But the fact is that I have made very little effort to increase the amount of blue in my life, except for the blue jeans that I usually wear and the blue jackets that I wear outside. Most of my blouses and tops are purple or raspberry.

Anyway, what is a favorite color, really? Maybe the question should be what is your favorite color to wear, to have on the walls of your house, to dominate in your artwork or garden? What color soothes you, or excites you, just by looking at it? What color do you identify with?

Many years ago, I had my colors done. The consultant looked at my skin, eyes, and hair, and composed a set of muted colors that she felt would look very good on me as clothes or cosmetics. I didn't like any of the colors, and have never bought anything using them.

Politically, I'm a lavender sort of gal, being a lesbian, and I really enjoy looking at purple flowers - lilacs, lavender, wistaria, Mexican sage. The last one I especially like for its fuzzy, pettable texture - but don't get me started on textures. Yum.

Anyway, the matter of one's favorite color depends on where the color will be - flowers, walls, clothes, paintings. It is by no means a simple question.

No comments: