Monday, March 14, 2016

I Love Me Some Greens and Blues

I didn't know that I loved all things that are green and blue. The plastic pendant I've had since junior high school that's blue in front and green in back. The blue and green rubber bracelet that says "inspiring civility." Any book cover or patterned cloth or nature photograph that mixes greens and blues. Greens of plants and grass, and blues of sky and water. Greens and blues in Monet's water lilies, and in a poster I bought in the 70's of a ship with green sails on a blue sea.

Greens and blues are the colors of growth and spirit, of the printed flannel cloth I bought when 12 years old and sewed into pajamas, making and correcting every possible error. My green and blue spring ensemble - light green lightweight corduroy pants, a royallish blue corduroy overshirt, and a blouse of palest green with a blue floral print. And don't forget my blackwatch plaid flannel pjs and blouse.

Even my eyes are green and blue. For most of my life, the DMV, friends, and I believed them to be blue. On close examination, they had hints of gray at the outer edge of the iris and flecks of yellow at the inner edge. But for the last five years or so, my mirror and friends tell me that my eyes are green. I didn't know that eyes could change color. Maybe they just appear to be more green than blue now that my hair is more silver than brown?

Anyway, I liked my blue eyes, and I really like my green eyes. And I love looking at anything that has greens and blues together. Like a latchhook mat I made of a dolphin against a background of greens and blues. Like nearly any nature documentary on TV, like fabulous necklaces and Christmas ornaments I'll never buy but love drooling over.

I've been thinking about the cover design for my first self-published book, Not sure whether to use a photograph of nature's greens and blues, or an abstract design of some sort, but those will definitely be the colors I choose. Green for growth and blue for spirit, intertwined in life-giving motion.

No comments: