Wednesday, August 31, 2016

LezWrites 2016

At least two friends urged me to submit a piece to this year's Best of LezWrites show. I had a faint recollection of having tried unsuccessfully last year, but couldn't find any electronic paper trail.

This year there was a theme, The Body Politic. Turns out I had written a piece about bare breasts and the law against 'indecent exposure' using that very phrase. The submissions needed to be between five and ten minutes long, and that single piece was not long enough. So I combined it with two other faintly humorous pieces, making a really good transition between the second and third pieces.

After my submission was accepted for the show, I ran it by my writing partners, who pointed out the weakness of the connection between the first and second pieces, and another theatrical mentor, who noted that it ended a bit abruptly. So I did a bit more stitching together of the pieces. In fact, every time I looked at it or read it aloud, I tinkered with a phrase here or a sentence there.

Anyway, the time finally came to perform it last Friday, and it went over pretty well.

No comments: