Saturday, April 4, 2020

Physical Distancing and Social Solidarity

I've been at home since the first week of March. Already the rate of growth of Covid-19 cases is slowing here in the Bay Area, where the first stay-at-home orders were made. So we have hope that our inconveniences and sacrifices are bringing us closer to beating this virus.

My days aren't that different from what they used to be. The events I used to attend on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays have shifted to happening online. I didn't spend a lot of time outdoors before, and may even spend a little more time outdoors now. The limitations on my freedom of movement make me more appreciative of excursions that are still allowed - visits to my garden and walking in the neighborhood with a friend once or twice a week.

To express my gratitude for my blessings, I feel impelled to use some of my time at home for self-care. So I've been journaling and doing my little bit of Tai Chi for a couple of weeks now. More recently, I've added meditating and participating in Zoomed Always Active classes from my neighborhood senior center.  I'd been meaning to try a class for many months, but hadn't been willing to drag my body there. Now, with the class as close as my computer, I have attended four classes, and plan to continue attending thrice a week. As an obese and sedentary person, I inched my way into the aerobic part of the session as I gradually figured out what parts of the program not to do. Next week I will finally see what the strength-training part of the session is like.

I also feel impelled to build connections with others, to help me and my friends stay sane and well. I chat on the phone or Facebook Messenger several times a day, when I begin to feel isolated. Sometimes friends call or email me. Following a prompt on Next Door, I put a teddy bear in my window for neighborhood kids to find in their outdoor treasure hunts. I appreciate neighbors' recommendation of restaurants that are still open for takeout or delivery.

The sunshine has gone away for the weekend, and my solar-powered emotions are sinking. I'm already losing the impetus to reach out for videochats. Which means I should stop typing and just do it. Signing out.


No comments: