Thursday, June 11, 2020

A Strange Contentment


A Strange Contentment

My emotions have been a mystery to me for most of my life. This usually bothers me only when they’re uncomfortable, because I want to understand how I’m feeling so I can do something to make myself feel better. Without that insight, I cultivate responses that can help me regardless of the specifics, usually distraction or self-comfort.

I recently noticed that my good feelings are often equally mysterious. I get this ripple of something pleasant in my chest, and notice it with baffled appreciation. I try to remember what preceded the ripple and inspect it for clues about its cause.

Sometimes I’ve just paused one activity, taken a deep breath, and turned to something else. Sometimes I’ve just figured something out or accomplished something. 

Sometimes I have a sense that my digestion is working smoothly, for a change, and my internal chemistry is in a relatively good state. Lately, I’ve been noticing this pleasant 
ripple of feeling when I get up from the throne, which also suggests a happy digestive system.

Sometimes, I can just remember the happy little ripple and feel its echo, completely divorced from anything in my environment or any particular thought. This is a lovely ability to have, and makes me smile, which is itself both a response to and a cause of happiness.

For so long I have been my own worst enemy, with an inner critic frequently beating me up and eroding my self-esteem. Maybe I’m discovering a new member of my internal committee, one who is simply happy here and now. I will call her my happy camper, and hope for her frequent attendance.

No comments: