Thursday, October 4, 2007

Art Show

I'm still sailing from having successfully completed my performance at our company's annual art and talent show. In past years, I've just stood up there, alone or with another employee playing keyboard, and played (badly) some music.

This time, I thought I'd make it more of a 'show and tell' event. I brought all seven sizes of recorders in my collection. I played a scale on each of the two highest-pitched ones and, along with my friend Jack, played brief sections of three Renaissance and Baroque duets on the other five sizes of recorders. As I set up my music stand, and in between the music, I delivered myself of a funny monologue on how the recorder came to have that name in English (when its name includes the term 'flute' in French, Italian, and German), and took a quick glance at the history of playing music on recorders and the design of recorders. My first scale was pretty awful, but I got it better on the second try. The duets went very nicely, despite some vibrato on my part.

There was also some classical guitar playing, poetry reading, a funny scene from a play, and belly dancing. Along with some very tasty food. What's not to like?

No comments: