Friday, March 21, 2008

Viva Esther!

Happy Purim and Chag Sameach, All,

I went to the synagogue's Purim party last night for the first time in a decade or so. One of the major attractions of Purim is the commandment to get drunk, and since I don't drink, I lack that incentive to attend. This year, I was asked to chant some of the Megillah, the Hebrew book of Esther. Since I want to keep up my chanting abilities, I agreed to do so, but was a bit taken back on learining that I'd have to chant from a Hebrew scroll without vowels or punctuation, like the Torah.

I had another chant in the queue first, and didn't start learning the portion until after the gay Jewish retreat at which I chanted a bit of Torah. I was talking to one of the rabbis in attendance about the Megillah chant, and she mentioned that she had heard someone chant Megillah to the tune of "Don't cry for me, Argentina," and it brought the house down. Lightbulb time.

I had been planning to attend the party (which is a costume event) as Carmen Miranda. So, I thought I'd chant my portion to a melody from the opera Carmen, the Habanera. I had to do serious surgery on the music to make it fit the Hebrew words of the chant instead of the original French text. And then memorize what I'd figured out so I could chant it with only the Hebrew consonants on the Megillah scroll to remind me.

It went almost as well as I'd hoped. I wore dark lipstick and my mother's chunky jewelry and a sarong/toga wrap of glittery silver/purple/green fabric, and a matching head wrap with plastic fruit attached using sticky-backed velcro tabs. The look was so NOT me. I'm more a tailored, L.L. Bean/preppy kind of gal.)

I was a little worried about deviating so far from the prescribed chant melody, but the first chanter also left it in the dust, doing a wonderful hillbilly rabbi sort of thing in coveralls with a southern hill accent. Intervening chanters who had followed the rules were nearly ignored. When I got up there and belted my high first note in a trained operatic soprano, people sat up and took notice, and when they figured out what I was singing and got the musical joke, some started to clap along in rhythm. Cries of 'Bravo' and 'Encore' greeted me on the way back to my seat.

I'm already thinking of what to do for next year. ...

No comments: