Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Too-Friendly Feline

Jan and I were walking to a Pleasanton restaurant in the winter evening darkness, when a dark tortoiseshell cat came up to us on the sidewalk. She came directly to me, and let me scratch her head, and bumped my ankles, and was really friendly. Jan thought she was her own tortoiseshell, Ava, and we picked her up to take her back home. We traded off carrying her, and she was just fine with me carrying her. This made me suspect she was not Ava, who doesn't know me that well. We put her under a streetlight and stared at what we could see of her coat, and just couldn't decide whether she was Ava or not.

Wouldn't you know it, when we got to Jan's home, her cats were nowhere to be found, but this cat - who we were starting to believe was not Ava, started growling, presumably at the smell of the resident cats. I couldn't stop laughing at how hard it was to tell one cat from another in the dark, and at the futile effort we had made to restore someone else's pet to her home. I named her Zsa Zsa (Eva Gabor's sister) while Jan flushed her cats, Ava and Chester, from under the house. Now having conclusive proof that we had carried off somebody else's pet, we tried to return her to where we found her - but she disappeared. We assume she found her way home.

Whoever owns that lovely and well-cared-for feline may be in danger of losing her, if she's that happy to go off with total strangers.

No comments: