Wednesday, May 12, 2010

More Mothertongue Writings

You name it, I've been it. My Catholic mother had me baptized as an infant. Then I lived with my Jewish grandparents and went to Sunday School at a Reform synagogue. Then I lived with my atheist father. In college, I was converted to Christianity by Campus Crusade for Christ. Later I studied and worshipped with Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship. Meanwhile, I had joined a Presbyterian church because I loved the music that a professor of mine had recruited me to sing with their choir.
After moving to a new city, I joined a Lutheran church because it was near my home. After a few years, I began going to a Catholic charismatic prayer meeting with some charismatic Lutheran friends. Then I discovered the gay synagogue in town and started going there. The non-sexist liturgy charmed me, as well as the gay and lesbian congregation. So, I stopped going to the Lutheran Church, and joined the synagogue. Then I got involved in a twelve-step program, which has its own form of spirituality. Along the way I also attended a Quaker meeting, spent a weekend at a Moonie camp, and learned Transcendental Meditation.
What do I actually believe? Whatever is working for me right now.
_____________

My Favorite Things

Two-headed dildoes and long peacock feathers,
Butt plugs and fur mitts and shiny black leathers,
Garters and stockings and gold nipple rings,
These are a few of my favorite things.

Shiny ben wa balls and edible lotions,
Sturdy vibrator for long-lasting motions,
Honey dust powder and butt beads on strings,
These are a few of my favorite things.

When the mood strikes,
When my blood burns,
When I'm feeling gay,
I simply remember my favorite things,
And then I have got to play.
_______________

Used to be, they thought women were sick if we wanted sex. No they think we're sick if we don't.
________________

I've tried non-monogamy, and I've learned my lesson. My problem is not moral, ethical, or religious: I just don't have that much energy.

1 comment:

abster said...

You rock, Dana! How come it's been so long since we've hung out?? I love your writing. Please keep it up!