Friday, May 4, 2007

More Writings to Come

I took another all-day writing workshop last Saturday, and started an 8-week class, "Introduction to Creative Writing," last night, so I'll have plenty of pieces to post. The teacher of my current class, Linda Watanabe McFerrin, pointed out that we all write in our lives -- shopping lists, e-mails, reports for work, etc. And one of our homework assignments this week is to make something of one of these quotidian forms.

We had to introduce ourselves at the class by saying what we have written, and I've been writing in styles as diverse as sermons and my monthly column for the Windway, which is the newsletter of the San Francisco Chapter of the American Recorder Society. Maybe I'll post a few columns here -- at least two people I've run into at recorder events have said (unprompted) that they enjoy reading them.

For some time, I've been toying with the thought of writing a murder mystery set at a recorder workshop, and I made the mistake of mentioning at the class last night, and writing the opening and closing sentences of a short story or novel on that topic. Now I'm going to have to put up or shut up. But Linda seems to be good at pointing out what is good and less good about our attempts to write, and at coaching writers to include more of the former and less of the latter. Stay tuned.

No comments: