Thursday, December 3, 2009

Time to De-Clutter

So I'm planning to move downstairs sometime soon (after living here for 26 years), and I've hired an organizer to help me make decisions, release stuff I don't need, and organize what's left in the new space.

We started with the low-hanging fruit -- two places where I've piled stuff for departure and the attic. That took two hours and gave me a tummy ache. And the next few days my legs were pretty unhappy about getting down to and up from the floor, climbing up and down the ladder to the attic, and bending down to pick stuff up. Additional motivation for stretching and exercise, one hopes.

This process is also having its pleasures: I moved out a batch of stuff with some emotional charge but no real utility; I'm expecting thumping tax deductions for my charitable donations; and I made some very pleasant discoveries, e.g., more dishware to replace pieces I've broken over the years, and sheet music that I found or arranged for the synagogue choir that I used to conduct and have spent hours looking for.

We've hardly scratched the surface, though. Much more unburdening ahead, and probably some more pleasant surprises, too.

No comments: