Saturday, February 13, 2016

Activism and Writing

The first and only piece of creative writing I sold was a hybrid piece--partly a report on my participation in a political action about a police killing, and partly a rant about the recent spate of white police killing unarmed black men and boys. The change I want to make in my life right now is to get back into political activism--both to be contributing to social change, and to have some interesting activities to write about.

My chapter of an interfaith community organizing group is in some disarray, and I haven't found another issue that resonates with me. This is not to say that I'm entirely out of politics. I follow the news on MSNBC and PBS and NPR, I sign some petitions that show up on my Facebook feed or in my email, and I share petitions that I feel strongly about with my own FB friends.

But that's not enough. I need to find a cause that energizes me, and to get to work on it. I want to help brighten my corner of the world, and, not incidentally, also have events to write about.

No comments: