Saturday, February 13, 2016

How I Want to Be Remembered

If I were to tell you how I want to be remembered, I'd start with, "as a kind person." I'd want no one to remember any cruelty of mine or at least not many of then, or at least not mentioning them aloud.

I'd want people to remember me as smart and funny, as a clear and moving writer, as a pleasant singer, and as a compelling actor.

I'd want people to remember my efforts to improve health care in our benighted country, with some success at least at the local and federal levels.

I'd want people to remember that I spent many years buying my home, so I could leave it in trust for poor lesbians to live in.

I'd want people to remember that I survived a childhood of deaths and disruptions to become a relatively sane, relatively useful person.

No comments: