Friday, March 13, 2020

Introvert-ish


Introvert-ish

I bill myself as an introvert. I’m usually quiet when in a group of people. When we’re eating, I chew my food so thoroughly that there are few times when my mouth is not full. So, unless I’m with people who also talk through food, I’m limited to comments I can come up with that fit into the conversation between bites. I’m happy listening to others while I chew, though, so that works out.

My definition of introvert focuses on my energy being drained when I spend time with two or more others. After an hour or two, I start looking for ways to make a graceful exit. If I need to stay with a group for an extended time, say at a party, the worst situation for me is to be standing with a small group of people. Eventually the others tire of our conversation and move towards other folks, and I am left alone, like a fish beached by the ebbing tide.

I do best at parties when I find a comfy place to sit and interesting people who stay seated near me. If they get up and go away, I’m OK if there’s something interesting to look at. My favorite party was a Bay Cruise celebrating our company’s 100th anniversary. After we ate lunch, I toured the bridge and was allowed to steer the boat for a while Then I found a place on the foredeck and spent the rest of the cruise just watching the Bay go by.

On the other hand, I’m also a show-off. Given a script to read or sing from, I’m quite content to stand up in front of a large group of people. I’ve always been like this, from acting in children’s theater, delivering my high school valedictory address and competing in a televised quiz show, to performing in musical theater as an adult and delivering a Perspective on KQED radio. I may have a little stage fright, but I get up there and do it. What can I say? I like the sound of my own voice, and am happy to share it with the world.

No comments: