Thursday, March 19, 2020

Notes from My Shelter

So I've been mostly confined to home by government edict and sensible self-preservation for a week or so. As a mildly agoraphobic introvert, I'm relieved to be encouraged to isolate rather than guilt-tripped for doing so.

That said, I'm spending lots of time online. I find that the internet is filled with every possible reaction to our situation: angry rants, snarky humor, and resources for the homebound, which include beautiful images and sounds, lists of what to buy, recipes, uplifting thoughts, free access to concerts, museums, live animal streams, you name it.

I've been sharing the memes I find cathartic or otherwise helpful, and am honored when my friends like them or share them to their friends.

One of the most helpful articles said that it helps with stress and anxiety if you find some creative outlet or other means of achievement. So that's why I got back into posting here. I also restarted writing in my journal; my thoughts are important to me, and if I can't share them with others in person, I can at least commit them to writing.

Another article suggested we replace the forms of contact currently forbidden with others still available: a handshake for a phone call, a hug for an email, a smile for a video chat. So I've been phoning and video phoning people I haven't talked to in months. I put together a Facebook Messenger group so members of the Tuesday morning Koffee Klatch can virtually check in via video chat. It is heartening and nourishing to see each others' lovely faces again, and hear each others' voices.

That's all I got for now. Stay safe out there.

No comments: