Friday, March 13, 2020

The Roller Coaster


The Roller Coaster

At a family occasion in Santa Monica, a friend of the family told a story about a roller coaster in France. I’m not sure who the teller was, but my guess would be Nancy Nimitz, as she was the most consistent non-family presence in Santa Monica. She was the daughter of Admiral Chester Nimitz, a hero of World War II complete with an aircraft carrier named after him. Since she, like my uncle Malcolm, worked for the Rand Corporation (he in economics and she as an expert on Russia), I imagine they met at work. I liked her a lot; she was smart and witty and irreverent. The story seems like one she would tell.

I don't know if the story was true, but we kids loved it. She said that the builders had tried to make the scariest, most exciting roller coaster ever. They were very pleased with their creation, and had tested it thoroughly with sandbags standing in for passengers. Came the dedication day and the honor of the first ride was accorded to the mayor and other city officials. However, at the end of the ride, they all were dead, their necks snapped.

Not long afterwards, my mother took me, my brother, and a cousin to Disneyland. We went on the Matterhorn Bobsleds ride, a type of roller coaster. After a little conference at the top of the ride, we had our plan. As the car neared the bottom of the mountain, we all keeled over bonelessly, as if our necks had been snapped. Mother had been watching us and knew exactly what we were doing. She stepped away from the fence and pretended that she didn't know us. When the attendants came running up to the car, we smiled sweetly up at them.

Lo these many years later, I wonder why we kids loved the story so much that we decided to re-enact it. Why we felt no horror or sorrow at the meaningless deaths of the officials, but only macabre glee. Maybe it’s because kids don’t believe in death; the only deaths we have seen so far in our lives have been fictions on a screen or in writing. At any rate, the story really impressed us at the time, and it lingers in my mind still.

No comments: